Analysis & Testing
- Finite element analysis (FEA): CAD models of multiple DUO design configurations are put through simulated torsional load cases to evaluate localized stress levels, double-shoulder interaction, load-sharing between taper regions, and the overall expected deformation of the DUO design.
- Torsional stage loading: Prototype connections are subjected to increasing values of torque loads up to and beyond torsional yield with critical connection geometry measured between at each stage. The DUO connection design has proven to remain well within field inspection tolerances even at extreme torque loads.
- Cyclical torque loading: Connections are subjected to cyclical torque loads at makeup torque, evaluating the detrimental effects of repeatedly applied loads on connection geometry and threadform. DUO connections have demonstrated excellent galling and deformation resistance even being cycled well past the recommended makeup torque.
Correlated together, the above methods provide a clear picture of the raw torque capability of the DUO connection and validates the initial analytical calculations used in its design.
Field Testing and Beyond
The drill string was then sent back into service to drill an additional 4 planned wells, with a maximum total depth of 5,450m (18,000ft).
Following drilling, all connections were 3rd party inspected to the full extent of API and Complete Group’s specifications to evaluate and quantify any connection damage, and observe the effectiveness of the DUO’s unique landing pad thread design. The inspection resulted in:
- 0.29% machine shop repair rate
- Zero connections outside field inspection tolerances
- A large portion of connections still within manufacturing tolerances
To date, there are now multiple strings of 400 DUO pipe sold and in use in Western Canada with more information and data being generated every day. Complete Group is looking forward to sharing more performance and inspection data as the DUO product line continues to grow!
LOOKING FOR TUBULAR PRODUCTS?
Learn more about Complete Tubular Products’ offerings and innovations.